|Planning, Zoning, Building & Codes --> Building & Construction
|Lower Pottsgrove Township
Building & Construction
|Lower Pottsgrove Township enforces the following building codes, as required by the PA Uniform Construction Code:
Copies of the codes are available for review at the Lower Pottsgrove Township Building. For more information about these codes,
please visit the
PA Department of Labor and Industry.
- International Building Code 2009, Chapters 2-29 and 31-35
- International Residential Code 2009
- International Plumbing Code 2009
- International Mechanical Code 2009
- International Fire Code 2009
- International Fuel Gas Code 2009
- International Energy Conservation Code 2009
- National Electric Code 2009
- International Existing Building Code 2009
|Work requiring a permit: Building permits are required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish
or change the occupancy of a building or erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace an electrical, gas,
mechanical or plumbing system which this code regulates.
Ordinary repairs to structures do not require a building permit. Ordinary repairs include:
Ordinary repairs do not include:
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finishing work.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to one- and two-family dwellings.
- Prefabricated pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
- Window replacement without structural change.
- Replacement of existing roof material that does not exceed 25% of the total roof area performed within any 12-month period.
- Replacement of existing siding.
- Repair or replacement or any part of a porch or stoop which does not structurally support a roof located above the porch or stoop.
- Installation or addition of roll or batt insulation.
- Replacement of exterior rain water gutters and leaders.
- Minor electrical repair and maintenance work such as the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles, or the replacement of a receptacle, switch or lighting fixture reated at 20 amps or less and operating at less than 150 volts with a like or similar item (does not include replacement of GFCI receptacles).
- Replacement of installed, electrically operated doorbells, communication systems and any motor operated device.
- Replacement of minor parts that does not make equipment unsafe.
- Portable heating, ventilation or cooling equipment.
- Stopping leaks in pipes.
- Replacement of faucets, lavatories or sinks.
Prior to applying for a building permit, all necessary grading permit, subdivision, land development or site plan approvals must be obtained.
In addition, the proposed construction must comply with all applicable building codes, the stormwater management regulations in the
Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance and the Zoning Ordinance.
- Cutting away any wall, partition or portion thereof
- Removal or cutting any structural beam or load bearing support
- Removal or change of any required means of egress or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting its exit way requirements
- Adding to, altering, replacing or relocating any standpipe, water supply sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping; electrical wiring; or mechanical.
Applications for relief from decisions of the Zoning Officer or from variances from the requirements in The Zoning Ordinance are
handled by The Zoning Hearing Board.
Use and Occupancy: All commercial uses of property and new construction of dwellings require occupancy permits that certify that the
use complies with the Zoning Ordinance and fire prevention regulations.
Use and Occupancy Applications should be submitted to The Township prior to the final inspection for building permits.
All Contractors must be registered in the Township before a building permit can be issued. Registrations are valid until December31
of each year. The Contractor must provide proof of insurance for registration to be approved.
|If you have any questions regarding the building and construction permitting process, please contact the Permits
Clerk at (610) 323-0436.
|If you do not have Adobe Acrobat reader, please click here.
Lower Pottsgrove Township, 2199 Buchert Road Pottstown, PA 19464
phone: 610-323-0436 | fax: 610-323-3824 | email: firstname.lastname@example.org